Using a knife or firesteel scraper, simply scrape the soft magnesium tinder rod to create a pile of magnesium shavings.
Spark your firesteel onto these shavings, which will catch on fire and burn very hot.
Note: magnesium rods only => scraper and firesteel shown in the pictures are sold separately.
This Metal Burns!
Simply scrape off a small pile of magnesium shavings using your knife or FireSteel.com Super Scraper.
When you apply a flame or spark from from your favorite FireSteel.com FireSteel, the magnesium shavings will catch on fire and burn at more than 4000 degrees F (2200 degrees C).
This extremely high temperature makes magnesium an excellent tinder for helping you start fires, even with damp kindling.
Your soft magnesium rod is naturally waterproof - will stay dry even if dunked in water.
Configure your magnesium tinder rods in the following ways:
FireSteel.comMagnesium Tinder Rods
Notes about FireSteel.com Magnesium Rods:
- Price shown is for one magnesium tinder rod - a picture may show two rods for the purposes of scale.
- The US Penny shown for scale is not included (we've had people complain that they did not receive a penny when ordering a rod)!
- The Magnesium Tinder Rods do not create sparks. Magnesium is used as a tinder to help catch your kindling (firewood, etc) on fire. You will need a source of sparks to catch the magnesium itself on fire.
- FireSteel.com Super Scrapers or Palm Scrapers to help shave your magnesium are sold separately.
- The FireSteel Blank Rods, FireSteel with Lanyard Holes, Square FireSteel, and GobSpark FireSteel that will make the sparks to ignite your magnesium also sold separately.
Find out why gear dealers the world over choose to sell FireSteel.com FireSteel. Get your FireSteels from THE name in FireSteel: FireSteel.com!
* Magnesium Tinder Rod is a trademark of FireSteel.com
Highly effective, So very effective that when My family saw how easy and efficiently I could make a fire,
works great makes starting a fire a little easier
Shaves easily and catches spark effectively.
These folks have the best magnesium rods around. Best in class, especially for the price.
the real Magnesium element that rapidly combust , it scapes easily with the small scraper they manufacture , Thanks Mr. Fontaine
Shaves well and fast. And it burns phenomenally.
i got a few of these in different sizes and with holes in them. i like them much better than the conventional blocks you get from coghlans i.a. and in combination with the super-scraper, getting enough material is so easy, i couldn't have imagined before.
When the tinder sticks came in I immediately gave them a test run. It works just as advertised and shaves/ flakes very easily. It helps to start fires with damp or hard to burn materials. It's very light and the lanyard holes are very close to the edge so I can use most of the stick for tinder building. I'm putting one in both of my cars and one with my outdoor kit for sure.
IF YOU DONT WANT TO WORRY ABOUT WET TINDER, THESE MAG RODS ARE AWESOME! I WISH THEY HAD THE 1/2 INCH ONES AVAILABLE WHEN I ORDERED, BUT THAT GOES TO SHOW THE QUALITY YOU GET: SOMETIMES YOU HAVE TO WAIT FOR THE BEST THINGS. I WILL BE SHOPPING HERE FOR MY SON'S CAMPING FIRE KIT. AWESOME SERVICE AND COMPANY!