Our NEW FireSteel.com 1" x 3" Magnum Mag Tinder Rod™ is a SOLID piece of gear that will NOT let you down!
Arm yourself with a Magnum Mag Rod™ and one of our World-class FireSteel.com FireSteel and you will have the ability to start a fire under the most adverse of conditions!
The Magnum Mag Tinder Rod™ is the largest magnesium tinder rod we sell.
At 1-inch thick by 3-inches long, one of these Magnum Mag Rods™ is enough to help you start more than a hundred fires!
We chose the dimensions of the Magnum Mag Rod™ to be used not only as an excellent and long-lasting source of tinder, but also as a handle for your favorite FireSteel.com blank firesteel rod.
After you've held the 1" diameter Magnum Mag Rod™ in your hand, you'll want to add one to all of your firesteel rods!
We've left the Magnum Mag Rod™ intact; no holes of any kind so that you can adapt the Magnum Mag Tinder Rod™ to your preferred use.
To use your Magnum Mag Rod™ to start a fire:
- Scrape off a small pile of magnesium shavings using a hard sharp object such as the spine of your knife, a FireSteel.com Super Scraper™ or the Palm Scraper™ from your GobSpark Armageddon™ kit.
- A small pile of shavings about the size of a dime (US $.10 coin) or quarter (US $.25 coin) in diameter is a good size to use.
- Make sure that your magnesium shavings are arranged in a small, concentrated pile and be prepared to feed your magnesium fire with small twigs or other kindling because when magnesium burns it will burn HOT and FAST.
- Once you have gathered your tinder and firewood close by, aim a shower of sparks from your favorite FireSteel.com FireSteel onto the pile of magnesium shavings you have prepared, and stand back as the magnesium pops and bursts into flame.
- The burning magnesium shavings will quickly transform into a burning white hot pile that will light even your damp kindling on fire.
CAUTION: Magnesium shavings burn white hot at 4000 degrees F (2200 degrees C) and can cause serious burns if care is not taken, especially if you are working in wet or damp conditions. We recommend the use of gloves and caution when starting a fire with magnesium shavings.
To turn your Magnum Mag Rod™ into a firesteel handle:
- Select a drill bit to match the diameter of the firesteel you will be using.
- Drill a 1/2" to 1" deep hole into the center of one end of your Magnum Mag Rod™ (a longer firesteel will need a deeper hole to fit securely).
- Add one or two drops of epoxy (Gorrilla Glue or similar) into the hole you have created, and insert your firesteel rod into this hole.
- Clamp or otherwise secure the rod in place until the epoxy has cured. Once cured, go out back and start a fire with your new all-in-one tinder and firesteel kit!
- Feeling creative? Own a lathe? We bet you could make a spectacular handle by turning the Magnum Mag Tinder Rod™ on a lathe! Send us pictures of your creations and we might just feature your work on this page!
Not sure which firesteel to attach to your handle?
Good sizes of FireSteel.com FireSteel to glue into the end of a Magnum Mag Tinder Rod™ handle are:
- FireSteel.com Survival FireSteel™ (5/16" x 3.15 or 4-inches long)
- FireSteel.com Armageddon FireSteel™ (3/8" x 3, 4, 5 or 6-inches long)
- FireSteel.com Bunker FireSteel™ (1/2" x 3, 4, 5 or 6-inches long)
Find out why gear dealers the world over choose to sell FireSteel.com FireSteel. Get your FireSteels from the source: FireSteel.com!
Magnum Mag Tinder Rod™ Specifications:
- Weight: 2.963 ounces or 84 grams
- Dimensions: 1" diameter x 3" length (25.4 x 76.2 mm)
- Use: Tinder, Handle
- Expected Yield: Tinder to help you start more than a hundred fires
* Magnum Mag Rod™ and Magnum Mag Tinder Rod™ are trademarks of FireSteel.com
This was the best magnesium I’ve used it was far superior than the rest
Firesteel.com has done it again. Just when I thought owning the ultimate firesteel was the top, Ron and his company have surprised me again with the ultimate aid to their 1" diameter "Magnum" ferrocerium rod. This large magnesium monster is awesome. I loved it so much I bought 2. I have yet to try them out but if they are anything like the other Firesteel.com products they should work fine. If you haven’t seen this one yet, I suggest you buy one or two or three and include them in your preps.